Saturday, October 23, 2004

It's all Leila's Fault

So I've given into peer pressure again, just like when I joined Friendster. Leila's been enjoying my rants that I've been sending her through email so much that she thinks everyone else should get to read them. So, here I am. I can only assume that this blog will take on a format similair to Leila's in that I will be talking about what books I'm reading and what I think about them. In saying that let me get a few things clear. I in no way shape or form pressume to know or understand what good writing is. I am not nor was I ever an English major. I don't read to improve my intelligence and I don't read books because they're "classics". As a matter of fact if you tell me a book is a classic I'm more likely not to read it. I'm just like that. I read because I'm addicted to it. Plain and simple. I get uncomforatable if I have nothing to read. I also read because I enjoy it, and I always have. So what am I looking at when I say a book is good or not? Well, here are a few example of things I consider when I actually have to explain my reasoning to others out side my head:
  • Was the story engaging? Did it pull me in enough to be bothered reading it instead of the 10 other books on my need to read list?
  • Do I care about the characters? Do I want them to succeed in their endevors or do I just wished they'd die and stop whining?
  • Do I think this book speaks to/has meaning to its intended audience? This is used mostly when I'm critiquing juvenile and young adult literature.
  • It is original? Many things aren't completely original these days and I understand that. But is this story original enough that I'm not screaming at the book when I read it "For the love of God, do ALL elves have to be whiny dwarf haters?" Yes, I yell at books when I read them, leave me alone.
These are all I can think of at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they're most most common ones.
The only thing else I can say is everyone prepare yourselves and remember It's All Leila's Fault.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren K said...

If we could count on English majors to be good writers there wouldn't be so many English majors.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home