Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Plucker - Brom

Once in a great while a book gets published that is so different, so beautiful, so completely perfect that aquiring it and reading it just makes everthing OK again. The Plucker was this kind of book for me.

I love fairy tales. I love stories about the dark side of childhood. I love stories that are original, yet tap that deep well of beliefs and superstitions inside of us and make us feel this is somehow familiar so must be true on some level and we start watching the shadows a little more closely.

The Plucker is an illustrated book for adults. Not a graphic novel. It is a picture book. It is a fairy tale, but a dark, dark one, so not so appropriate for the younglings. It is a horror story, evil comes, evil kills and destroys, and evil perverts what it touches. It is a fairy tales, so evil is defeated, but with a high cost. The toys will never be the same.

I'm not going give a summary, or get into what the story is about, you can read for yourself on the website. The book is beautiful. I don't know who will like it besides me. I know I have dark tastes, but this book it worth being aware of, and certainly worth a read if you're ready for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leila said...

Dude, if The Plucker is plucking what I think s/he/it is plucking, I'm not sure if I can deal. I have goosebumps.

Yet I'm strangely fascinated.

11:56 AM  
Blogger dufflehead said...

just read this book this weekend and i'm posting about it on my blog, too!

it's freakin aweseom!

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home