Sunday, October 24, 2004

How I Paid For College take two: An Epiphany

Ok, actually having to write this down in some sort of coherant method got me thinking about this. It's certainly not the book's content that's bugging me, though, for good or bad, I have take it into consideration when deciding whenther it should go in the Young Adult or Adult section. Having just finished Doing It before starting How I Paid for College I can say that the HIPFC is rather tame in comparison (so far, still about 80 pages from the end, I have little desire to force myself to read it). However, Doing It was amazing. It was funny, it was poinant, it was so on target that I had a hard time believing it was written by an adult, not some 16 year old that this all happened to last year. There are so many elements in it that so many people who choose to remember what those years were like can relate to. On the other hand, how HIPFC was written has forced it to be only relavant to a small clique of folks. And yes yes yes you can argue that relevance is subjective and who the hell is fantasy relavent to? But if your characters are so esoteric why should your readers care about them? If I can care about a British kid who's a bit of a jerk and all he seems to care about is loosing his virginity, why can't I care about a bisexual kid from New Jersey who all he wants to do is escape to a college of the Arts? [For those of you who don't know, I went to Art school, and spent a great deal of effort to get there. My art teacher actually told me I wasn't good enough to get in. I showed her! Now I work in a Library.] It just seems wrong to me, to absoloutely not care about a character who I actually have something in common with, but just can't stand because of how his story is told.
Jeremy and I quote movies we like to each other constantly, but I would not choose to write a story based on either of our youths using those quotes. No one else would get it. And I understand that.
oodilolly oodilolly, golly what a day

1 Comments:

Blogger Leila said...

Regarding Doing It--wasn't it SO GOOD? I thought that he was completely dead-on about being that age. I still think that the people who go on about how disgusting it is, etc., are either refusing to remember what it was like to be that age, or were possibly more sheltered.

And I also love the animated Robin Hood. Robin was such a FOX!! (Hardy har har. But he was. I still have the remnants of a crush on him).

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home