Friday, July 21, 2006

Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore

I've talked about this book, I've recommended this book, this is the second time I've read it, so now it's time to comment on it.

Lamb describes Jesus' (actually Joshua in the Hebrew) life, all the missing stuff the Bible left out. It's fiction, it's humor, it's highly blasphemous, but it is also touching in a variety of ways. I read this book for the first time around the same time that Mel Gibson's The Passion came out. Lamb with its humor and completely ridiculous situations did more for my faith in the man that may have been The Christ than some horrible movie about how he was killed could ever have done. Yep, that's how I feel.

We follow Biff and Joshua as Josh tries to learn how to be the Messiah. Josh knows who and what he is, but he struggles to figure out what that means and what it means that he should do. As one can imagine it's quite the journey, both of self and across the ancient world. Biff offers not only comic relief, but also a look at the very human side The Christ.

Lamb was recommended to me by Jeremy's younger brother. This is the passage that was described to me that made me want to read it:
[scene takes place at the wedding in Cana, where Jesus turned water into wine]
Just then Joshua stumbled though the gate and crashed into us. We were able to catch ourselves and him before anyone fell. The Messiah was holding the little girl's pet bunny, hugging it to his cheek with the big back feet swinging free. He was gloriously drunk. "Know what?" Josh said. "I love bunnies. They toil not, neither do they bark. Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around. So it shall be written. Go ahead Biff, write it down."


Now, come on. Have you ever heard a better reason of why there are bunnies related to Easter, the resurection of Christ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home