Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dearly Devoted Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

OK this is the second time I've tried to sit down and review this book. I've figured out that I can't talk about this one without talking a bit about the first one, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. and maybe I can't even do that, because what I want to discuss will contain spoilers. So, damn it I'm back where I started.

I guess then I'll try to speak in generalities. First book: Loved it. I almost never go for mysteries or mystery thrillers. I don't know why, I just have never had the patience. I do not like based-on-reality gore/violence. Reading about serial killers and how they torture a victim, so far down on my list of what is OK to read as to be invisible. But Dexter is a different kind of serial killer. He's been "squared away" and sorted out by his foster father, who understood Dexter's brokenness and pointed it in a direction. Dexter goes after other serial killers, mostly those who prey on children. He is a force of vengence, and I'm strangely comfortable with that. What Dexter does is still just as horrific, and he is just as inhuman. Much of the book revolves around Dexter's mask of humanity, his attempt to blend in, which provides for quite the humorous observations and made Dexter a very likable character. I also found it rather hilarious that much of Darkly revolved around Dexter trying to figure out if he was crazy or not (well of course he is as he concedes, but is he 'that' kind of crazy).

Second book: Like it, but did not love it. It was very 'sitcom". We see less of Dexter the predator, who I had come to love, and we see more of Dexter the trying to play at human, albeit through very legitimate plot devices. The "girlfriend finding the ring and assuming it's a proposal" scene was a little much for me. I also still take issue with how the first book ended and there being not the fall out from it that I would have expected (this is where I have to be vague to avoid major spoilers). The ending to this one was also just a little too neat wrapped up in a nice little package. Perhaps I'm being too picky. I still enjoyed the book and really hope we will see more Dexter books in the near future.

Some quotes that were just plain priceless and why these books are so fun to read. I like Dexter's voice, and I enjoy that while on the surface he tries to blend in, but in his own head he just doesn't get it and has no capacity to care that he doesn't get it.

From Darkly:
"What was sleep, after all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of the neighbor's children?"


From Dearly:
"I found that if I limited myself to one or two beers, I could relax just enough to blend in with the slipcover on the couch."


"I knew nothing at all about love and I never would. It didn't seem like such a terrible lack to me, although it does make it difficult to understand popular music."


And for more info, Leila's reviews of Darkly and Dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home