Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Taking issue with Goths in YA lit

This really should be a rant about As Simple As Snow, but I'm not done with it yet, so it's not really fair to blast it yet.

I'm getting REALLY tired of the invisa-nice-guy hooking up with/being fascinated by the resident freaky goth girl plot line. No other sub culture is treated like this. (If it is and I'm just missing it PLEASE let me know.) It's like goth is the new, I don't know how to put this exactly, racial category. I can imagine to be edgy a YA author used to have interacial couple and have everyone freak out. (That's really not a perfect comparison, but imagine a ridiculous version of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner but substitute Sidney Poitier with a goth boy and you can sort of see what I mean) Now it seems like inter-gothal couples are the new thing. And the goth always has some dark secret that the 'norm' finds out about and makes him so understanding about why she's so freaky to begin with. And she's not really freaky, she's actually really deep and teaches the 'norm' about so many things he would never have experienced. And they have to struggle against people who just don't understand.

Sound cliche enough yet?

Part of me is going why the hell am I even defending this? But I really don't like stereotypes and this one's getting very overused. It just seems like way too easy of a plot device for authors and a hook for YA authors (look! I understand you gothic people. Buy my book) and I just want them to stop.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leila said...

Interesting that we both had the same freak-out.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Leila said...

Well, similar, anyway.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home