Thursday, April 14, 2005

Rainbow Boys - Alex Sanchez

As a homosexuality recruiting tool Rainbow Boys is pretty poor. I mean it describes getting beat up, parents disowning you, and the scary realities of the consequences of un-safe sex. Seriously, not one orgy scene. But kidding aside...
It's a very real and accurate portrayal of 3 different gay teens in 3 different situations. This book also doesn't pull punches. The scene where Kyle tells his parents he's gay and his mother point blank asks him "Did you think we would stop loving you?" actually made me cry.
Saying all that, I still have this niggling feeling that I didn't really like the book, and I can't figure out why. There's no reason I can' think of that I shouldn't have like. Really. It was good and I couldn't ask anything more of it. But there we are.
I can't decide if I want to read the sequel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leila said...

I know what you mean. I think that, in the end, it turned me off because I didn't feel like Alex Sanchez was trying to tell a story, he was trying to get information across. Do you know what I mean?

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home