Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Kick Me - Paul Feig

I always dislike it when I have to disagree with Leila about a book, especially when I'm vehemently disagreeing. So, Leila, I'm sorry, but I thought this book was crap.


I read this back in January and I've been putting off most of my reviewing because I just couldn't get this one out. Most of my dislike of this book comes from Mr. Feig and I have VERY different views on what makes school years 'torturous'. It's possible that because I had just read Geography Club I had different expectations going into Kick Me. This book was described to me as being about an outcast who 'survived' school. I immediately thought of Brian Bund from GC. I thought it would be about some one who WAS ACTUALLY TORTURED throughout their school years and managed to survive it with a sense of humor intact. I was intrigued by the concept and the strength of character it would take to achieve this feat.

What I was met with was and author with a very whiny and condescending voice describing several minor embarrassments that most school children go through in some form or another. An author who had so much contempt for everyone around him that I couldn’t help thinking, “gee, I can’t imagine why you have no friends if this is what you think of people.” An autobiography not describing his peers ‘out to get him’, but simply several cases of poor decision making and bizarre neuroses on his part. It was a tiresome and unpleasant read ending with me deciding that Paul Feig is not a person I would like to know or would ever care about. I found the chapter about the bus drivers especially hypocritical and vexing.

I was as kind as possible in this review.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leila said...

Ha. I like it anyway. I loved it when that kid threw up on Paul's toy firetruck.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home