Friday, January 14, 2005

Book 1

The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty

This was a very cute and low key (for YA) book. It was great. It was damn funny and I particularly liked the revenge, and that they didn't go soft on it or feel bad, which at one point I thought they would. The writing was in my opinion quite good, and the telling of the story though journal entries and letters was succesfull. I was apprehensive about it, I've seen that REALLY not work. I loved the mock trial at the the end ("..hey, Bindy's putting all kinds of adjectives in the transcript.") This is a fantastic example of a light read without it being complete trash. Even though one character is dealing with the death of her father, it is handled well without it taking over the entire story, yet still being sensitive....and that sentence is getting out of hand.

Damn Good Book

This is still my favorite quote. It's what made me interested in reading the book, and strangely enough pulled Jeremy in as well.

In actual fact, I always think it's funny when a teacher tries to be cool. Most people want to slap them across the face, but I want to sit them down, like with a hand on their forehead, and say, "It's okay, you're a grown-up, you're allowed to be a nerd, just breathe in and out, that's all you need to do," and they would look up at me confused but also relieved and teary-eyed.



1 Comments:

Blogger Leila said...

This book made me laugh out loud. A lot. I actually recommended it for Summertime Treasures, which is a list of childrens/YA books that the local librarians come up with every year.

I had forgotten about the bit where Bindy puts the adjectives into the transcript--it made me laugh, just remembering the scene. I especially love when the mean kid gets beat up. It's so funny.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home