Friday, April 15, 2005

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key - Jack Gantos

I knew this was a book about a kid with Attention Deficit Disorder. What I was not prepared for was to be taken along for a ride with Joey. For example, when reading Kissing Doorknobs, the writing explains what OCD was like, but as the reader you didn't really experience it. In Joey Pigza you were pulled through the episodes. You couldn't help reading faster and faster. It was almost scary. It was also amazing. I don't know a lot of writers who can successfully put the reader into the situations his characters are experiencing.

In the book Joey's mother comes back into his life and tries desparately to help him. We learn that while medications help with the disorder, it takes the proper type and amount, and not getting the mix right you almost might as well not bother. Joey had previously been raised by his grandmother, who not only had the same disorder, but was also basically emotionally abusive to Joey. There is a great deal of healing in the book. Joey and his mom find actually USEFUL doctors and things improve for him, with a get deal of work.

I really don't know how this disorder is so often misdiagnosed. There is a huge difference in kids who just behave badly because they've never been disaplined (unfortunatly a very common problem these days, just watch those nanny reality programs, or work in a children's bookstore) and what Joey was going through.

This is a good read for both boys and girls. Apparently Jack Gantos visited one of the schools in my library's town (no, it was not mentioned to me) and the kids loved him and his books. They are funny enough pull kids in even while trying to make people more aware of this disorder. I would highly recommend them. I am looking forward to reading his other books.

I'm really annoyed I missed the cockroach story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home